Pupil Voice




We want pupils to have a say in how their school is run.  We do this in different ways......we have active School Councils......seek pupils' views at their Annual Reviews, End of Year Reports and through questionnaires and ask for their ideas when we are designing new things.

 

 

WHAT HAVE OUR PUPILS BEEN TALKING ABOUT?

 

Harvest Assembly supporting Nailsea Foodbank

12th October 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Today the focus was on the Harvest Festival Food Bank Appeal.  Thank you to everyone who made this appeal such a success.  The school council today discussed possible future fundraising events and have decided to do a chocolate make followed by chocolate and coffee sale in the afternoon during the Spring term.  A Big thank you to all the P16 school council for their hard work today sorting, displaying and packing donations and to the P16 students who came to help (EB, SH, LL).  Read more »

 

 

5th October 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Today the focus was on donations for the food bank.  We discussed what to do as we have not had donations this week.  Council to request that a reminder about the Harvest Festival Food Bank appeal appears in the newsletter.  The students are hoping for a generous donation of non perishable food to help local people through their food bank.  The representative of the food bank will be here next week to celebrate and collect the donation.  Read more »

 

 

28th September 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: The P16 School Council met today and practiced presenting their assembly asking for donations for the Harvest Festival Food Bank Appeal.  They were pleased to welcome Mrs Clark and Mr L (from Ofsted) to their meeting.  In the meeting RT chaired and CC took the minutes.  Later the Council led two assemblies.  RT introduced the assembly and operated the computer.  All school council contributed and did a great job.  Read more »

 

 

21st September 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: This photo of the new 2017-18 P16 Council was taken.  Read more »2017-18 School Council

 

 

14th September 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: The first meeting of the year.  Read more »

 

 

20th June 2017

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The discussion around Sports Day was very interesting; without any prompting our ‘pupil voice’ came up with the same plan that staff had been considering, for more or less the same reasons.  Read more »

 

 

15th June 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Extra meeting held to discuss money raised.  Read more »

 

 

8th June 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Extra meeting held to discuss money raised.  Read more »

 

 

25th May 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: This morning some of the P16 School Council met briefly to discuss funds raised and progress on the Council to date.  We have not yet calculated the exact amount to be given to Marie Curie and will inform when this is done.

 Students gave their views on their School Council role.  Read more »

 

 

18th May 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Today the Council counted the money taken at the cake sale and it amounted to £52.10.  When cost of ingredients has been deducted JT will contact Marie Curie with the total to be donated.  The Council also discussed their views on bullying and these are outlined in the minutes.  TG requested a pinball game on the computers for break times under any other business and also stated that the post 16 boys toilets have a toilet roll holder that needs fixing.  Read more »

 

 

16th May 2017

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The focus of the meeing today was the prize box, school lanyards and providing feedback to Miss Barnes's email about bullying.  Read more » 

 

 

4th May 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: We were delighted to welcome one governor and one ex governor today, Cllr Isles and Mrs Hill.

 

Final preparations for the cake sale were made and invitations sent out.  It is to take place after the WEX presentation next Thursday.  We hope to see you all there!  

 

 

27th April 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Today we decided on a shopping list for the cake baking sale.  Some of the Council members think a school fun run is a good way to raise money for lanyards.  KJ tried phoning Marie Curie but no reply.  JT will try to find an email address for them.  LL and TG discussed footballs being kicked too high by some younger students and would like to see it more strictly supervised.  TG asked if the field is now open.  Read more »

 

 

25th April 2017

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: Read more »

 

 

6th April 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: TG chaired the meeting and LL minuted it.  Students suggested Enterprise money to be used for lanyards.  We could not price them due to the internet being very slow.  JT will look into it.

 

LK from P16 has agreed to bake for the charity cake sale and the School Council has agreed cakes to make.  Any other business is about possible caretaking / cleaning points.  Read more »

 

 

16th March 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Today SWB chaired the meeting (with support) and Tommy took the minutes with help from Ken.  Great job done by all students.

 

The date for the cake sale in aid of Marie Curie has been agreed for Thursday 18 May with students baking in the morning and selling in the afternoon in the P16 common room area.  Mrs Lodge attended the meeting today and RR was able to ask if she could have her lunch in the P16 Common room (on Fridays) as it is quieter than the hall.  Mrs Lodge will check with Mrs Barnes.  All plates to be collected and returned to the hall.

 

First Aid course for students – KJ says he has been told it will be in the summer.  TG said that the cricket match will be Term 5 or 6.

 

A question about the Leavers trip was raised.  Who will be organising it and where will it be going.  Students will check cost of lanyards for the school council to wear and discuss how to fund these.  Read more »

 

 

14th March 2017

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: All agreed that council reps would wear a lanyard so that both staff and pupils know who the council reps are in school and can expect a level of support and help around school if needed.  All secondary council reps wanted to help plan and lead an assembly to explain why they would be wearing badges and their role.  After planning a PowerPoint assembly the students would then lead the assembly the in secondary assemble time.  JH looking into getting lanyards.


Mrs Venn was invited to the council where the reps asked her about a climbing club:
It was agreed that she would liaise with primary and Miss Pritchard to find out if this would be possible to run a club to start in term 5


Safe games on the system that can be accessed by pupils, was discussed.  Council reps are going to email Mr Pester to see if he will meet with some of them to discuss.

 

Read more »

 

 

2nd March 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: JC took the minutes with help from KJ (well done to both).  LL chaired the meeting.  The council have agreed to have a cake sale with proceeds to go to Marie Curie.  They also discussed wearing lanyards to show they are in the school council and LL has emailed Mrs Clark about this.  A point was raised about noise and disruption at lunch time in the hall and LL has emailed Mrs Clark with a suggestion that P16 thought perhaps they could eat a little later than the younger students.  First Aid for P16 was also on the Agenda and emailed to Mrs Clark for her opinion.

TG is to talk with Mrs Hawkes about the possible cricket match.

 

Under AOB the council discussed Time to Talk that takes place Thursday morning in P16.  It was felt it helps communication but one council member expressed a preference for the whole of P16 to meet together rather than in classrooms.  Read more »

 

23rd February 2017Council members with Mr Evans

POST 16 COUNCIL: The P-16 School Council were delighted today to present a cheque for £58 to Mr Evans of the Nailsea Uganda Water Project.  He said he will write to us and will also let us know how the project develops.  The school council have agreed to raise funds for a local cancer charity and think they will have a baking session and a cake sale.  They will discuss this further at the next meeting.  The Council also like the idea of wearing lanyards and suggested some symbol cards could be attached to help communication in the playground.  Read more »

 

21st February 2017

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The responsibilities of being a School Council rep were discussed.  Also climbing club and IT issues.  Read more »

 

2nd February 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Everyone was very pleased with the money raised at the fundraising event last Thursday and Mr Evans has been invited to come to school on 23.2.17 to be presented with a cheque for the Nailsea/Uganda water project.  The P-16 Council discussed how they could improve a coffee and cake fundraising event in future and thought to ask teachers if they could use the P16 classrooms as well as the common room.  The students have started thinking about another project and will discuss this more at the next meeting.  Read more »

 

31st January 2017

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The Council had a meeting.  Read more »

 

26th January 2017

Some of the pupils catering for the event

A huge thank you to our fantastic P16 Student Council for their great baking and good customer service skills demonstrated today in the fundraising event in P16 Common Room.  Over £55 has been raised and we will do a final count at the council meeting next week.   The students also wish to donate the Enterprise money from last year.  View photos from the event »

 

19th January 2017

Post 16 will be preparing and serving tea/coffee cakes and biscuits next Thursday.  Read more »

 

17th January 2017

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The Council had a meeting.  Read more »

 

12th January 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: Members of the P16 School Council met this week and continued their plans regarding the fundraising event.  Invitations went out last week and shopping lists have been made in readiness for the event on 26th January.  Pupils raised questions about lunches and will speak to staff themselves, Tommy raised the question of the school having a trampoline.  Sophia took the minutes with assistance from Mrs Tester.  Read more »

 

5th January 2017

POST 16 COUNCIL: All students agreed improvements to the fund raising invitation and sent it out.  Read more »               You're invited - view the poster!

 

13th December 2016

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The Council had a meeting.  Read more »

 

8th December 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: Today we welcomed Louis who has joined the P-16 School Council.  The group agreed recipes for the coffee event and this completed our shopping list.  Jaden chaired the meeting with help from Reece.  Other issues were footballs on the school roof and a canopy for the MUGA was suggested as a possible solution.  Tommy thinks a P16 cricket match would be good and will speak to Mrs Hawkes and Sophia has suggested inviting Baytree School to the coffee event.  Read more »

 

1st December 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: Members of the school council met this week to discuss the coffee morning in January. Reece has offered a recipe for Brownies to make for the event. School lunches are being monitored to see if they arrive hot or cold. The findings will be reported to Mrs Clark, there have been no issues reported this week. Members discussed occasional ICT problems and will note down the time when these occur.  There was also a discussion about badges for school council members. This request will be forwarded to Mrs Clark. Well done to Jaden and Ken who took the minutes of the meeting.   Read more »

 

10th November 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: The date has been set for the coffee fundraising event in aid of the Nailsea-Uganda Water Project  as January 26th 2017, details will follow in the new year. Jaden has taken over as buddy due to Rebecca’s work experience on Thursdays. A colour picture was printed for the noticeboard. Ken took the minutes of this week’s meeting. Read more »

 

8th November 2016

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The Council had a meeting.  Read more »

 

18th October 2016

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The Council had a meeting.  Read more »

 

10th October 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: Members of the P16 school council led the harvest assembly and were part of the collection process of donations from classes.  Pupils discussed the success of the assembly and were pleased to hand over all the donations to Mr and Mrs Worthington who were delighted with the generous donations and said they will make a lot of people very happy.  They said some people who use the food bank have sad stories and when they receive their food donation it makes them smile. Read more »

 

Handing over donations to Nailsea Foodbank staff

 

SCHOOL COUNCIL: Members have decided they would like to raise money for pupils in a school in Uganda.  A representative from the Nailsea-Uganda Water Project kindly came in to lead our assembly and explain a little bit more how our money will help.  Josh helped with an experiment showing how a small piece of guttering can help collect water from a roof.  Pupils were reminded that we are lucky to be able to have fresh water from a tap, the pupils in Uganda do not have enough water and need support to repair water tanks, build new ones so they ‘catch and drink it’!  They want our help to catch the rain water.

 

6th October 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: Meeting minutes

 

4th October 2016

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL: The Council had a meeting.  Read more »

 

30th September 2016

ASSEMBLY: Members of the School Council led the assembly this week.  They have asked for food donations to be brought in on Thursday 6th October.  A representative from the local food bank is expected to attend the assembly on Thursday 13th October and collect all donations.  The foodbank currently needs; Cereals (especially for children), Baked beans, Tinned Spaghetti, Pasta Sauce, Tinned Fish/Fruit or Ham, Dried Pasta, Instant Mash, Sugar, Fruit Juice, snack bars, confectionary and biscuits for Christmas.

 

Harvest Festival Assembly by the School Council

 

 

22nd September 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: Members of the school council met this week to discuss the presentation for the ‘Harvest Festival Appeal’ assembly on Thursday 29th September. Pupils will be asking for donations of non perishable food to be brought in to school on Thursday 6th October. All donations will be given to the Nailsea Food Bank. There was a discussion about how the buddy system is going so far this term and pupils raised issues regarding food and drink in school e.g. can sauces be provided and whether water could be available in the P16 common room. Pupils thought the hall was noisy at lunchtime and there was discussion about a separate area for P16 students.Photos were taken of council members for the new school council notice board. Read more »

 

15th September 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: Members of the council met this week to discuss the Harvest Festival Assembly on Thursday 29th September, any donations of food will go to the Nailsea Food bank. Buddying and money raised from a proposed coffee morning was also discussed, council members would like to split any funds raised with the Uganda Water Project and school. Pupils also asked about access to P16 common room. Members of the school council for younger classes are being elected and Ms Hawkes will shortly arrange their first meeting.  Read more »

 

9th September 2016

POST 16 COUNCIL: Kenneth, Reece, Tommy, Sophia and Rebecca met this week with Miss Tester to discuss what is involved in being a member of the School Council. Ideas were put forward for fundraising and events e.g. arranging a coffee morning at a local nursing home. Issues around school were raised; P16 would like to explore a different access arrangement to their area. Buddying will be continued from last year and students were keen for this to start soon. There will be a Harvest Festival Appeal by students in an assembly on Thursday 29th September for the local food bank. More details will follow after their next meeting.  Read more »

 

15th July 2016

ASSEMBLY:  The student council took part in the P16 assembly this week, reflecting on what they have accomplished this year. They reported asking for computers to be cleaned and for the P16 door bell to be repaired, which has been done.  The school gate was monitored for how often it is left open and it was noted that a trades person left it open on a monitoring day.  Also celebrated was the Dodge Ball competition and the money raised for the British Heart Foundation.  The school council have also taken forward the idea of school buddies and the five buddies accepted their yellow buddy lanyards at the assembly.  They are: Sophia, Jordan, Ken, Rebecca and Leon. Buddies will be available on Tuesday and Friday lunchtimes.  If another student approaches them with a problem they will tell a playground staff member.  Students stated that the school council makes them feel safe and council reps can help get problems sorted out.

 

14th June 2016

SECONDARY SCHOOL COUNCIL:  Members met on Tuesday. Badges for Buddies were discussed and photos, names and logos were agreed for the badges. Mrs Clark has agreed to purchase lanyards. There was a request for P16 to call staff by their Christian names Mrs Clark does not support this. Pupils understand that using surnames is more formal. A presentation is to be put together on all the council has achieved throughout the year. Discussions are continuing regarding a class from Baytree visiting Ravenswood. Date to be confirmed.  Items for the Premises Manager were reported regarding dusty computers and badges not opening doors sometimes in the morning. Mrs Clark also informed.  Read more »