Fire Safety Improvement Works; September delay to return of pupils

19 Jul 2019

Unfortunately, building works to improve the fire safety of our school building need to take place during the school holidays.  I am informed that this work is planned to take six weeks.  The works are to improve the fire breaks in our ceilings.  These are building features designed to stop a fire spreading.  Due to the age of the building, there is some asbestos present.  This was a common material used in many buildings of a similar age.  We are not unique in having asbestos and it poses no risk to pupils or staff.  We have a detailed register of where the asbestos is and there are regular surveys and checks to make sure the building is safe.

All classrooms will need to be completely cleared before the works can start.  We’ll then need to unpack and get everything ready for the start of the next school year, after the building works have finished.  To give us time to make sure the school is ready for pupils to start back, the school Governors have decided to close the school on the following dates; 4th, 5th and 6th September 2019.  I’m writing to let you know that the next school year will now start on Monday 9th September 2019.

I appreciate this may cause inconvenience to some of you and I am sorry about the late notice.  However I was only recently informed myself that this work would go ahead and given the nature and extent of the works which will be taking place, I hope you can understand why this change in term start date is necessary.  

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this matter.  Please do contact the school if you have any questions or would like more information.

Mark Senior

Headteacher