Our Governors are a diverse group of people ranging from staff and parents to professionals from industry. They all have one common interest; to support and develop Ravenswood School for the benefit of the students, parents and staff as well as the wider community. The Governors meet regularly to discuss all aspects of school life and are always willing to hear the views of anyone interested in Ravenswood School.
Any enquiries about the work of the governors should be addressed to:
Chair of Governors
c/o Ravenswood School
Alternatively, you can Tweet to the Governors via the widget opposite or email:
Personal background: Several years as a governor in the Primary sector, in the 1980s. Ravenswood governor since 2007. Nailsea resident since 1996. Early retirement enables me time to devote to my governor role. I have work experience with local training providers, with the Constabulary Training School; I have also worked with people in recovery from drug and alcohol abuse.
My passion: I value what schools offer and I do my utmost to support the efforts that are made by young people today.
What I want to achieve for Ravenswood: Recognition as a valued School that offers the best that it can for all its pupils.
Personal background: Parent governor for the last 9 years, initially as a governor in a primary school. Ravenswood governor since 2008.
I have lived in Portishead for 20 years working in the chemicals and oil and gas industries.
My passion: I value the efforts that schools put into giving my children the best possible education.
What I want to achieve for Ravenswood: I hope that by giving up some of my time to be a governor I can give something back to Ravenswood.
The purpose of the Business Committee is to support the school in ensuring the school:
• meets all statutory functions in relation to recruitment, personnel, finance, health and safety and safeguarding matters
• shows robust self-evaluation of its practices in relation to safer recruitment, personnel, finance, health and safety and safeguarding.
• rigorously follows up improvement points identified through self-evaluation procedures or through external inspections.
The purpose of the Pupil Committee is to support the school in ensuring:
• pupils make good progress and achieve well at the school; including those in Early Years Foundation Stage and those in P-16 provision
• the quality of teaching in school is good and improving
• the behaviour and safety of pupils at the school is at least good
• the school has well panned learning opportunities for all pupils to develop in their spiritual, moral, social, and cultural awareness
The purpose of the Pay Committee is:
• to observe all statutory and contractual obligations, including those for the headteacher making arrangements to notify pay decisions (using the salary statement format), to individual members of staff
The purpose of the Headteacher’s Performance Management Committee is:
• to follow performance management procedures for headteachers
• together with the external advisor to set and review objectives
• to plan the Headteacher’s performance management cycle in accordance with the legal timetable attached to performance management
Governors work to a plan each year: 2020-21 Governors' Work Plan
Full Governing Body meetings:
All minutes are sent to North Somerset Governor Services and published in the school staffroom.
All meetings at 4.45pm on Wednesdays.
Academic year 2019-20
15th July 2020
20th May 2020
1st April 2020
12th February 2020
18th December 2019
23rd October 2019
11th September 2019
Academic year 2018-19
17th July 2019
22nd May 2019
3rd April 2019
13th February 2019
19th December 2018
24th October 2018
5th September 2018
Academic year 2017-18
18th July 2018
23rd May 2018
21st March 2018
7th February 2018
13th December 2017
18th October 2017
6th September 2017
Academic year 2016-17
19th July 2017
24th May 2017
5th April 2017
8th February 2017
14th December 2016
19th October 2016
7th September 2016
Academic year 2015-16
20th July 2016
25th May 2016
30th March 2016
10th February 2016
16th December 2015
21st October 2015
9th September 2015
Governors have overall responsibility for school finances. Details of how our delegated school budget and our School Fund are spent can be found below.
The Ravenswood School Fund