Ravenswood pupils respond best to consistent routines and approaches. Therefore we have designed and developed a set of Teaching Strategies which are used across the school. These are divided into the following five areas:
ASD Friendly Learning Environment
Setting up the classroom; leading to well planned resources, making the maximum use of lesson time and managing pupils’ behaviour highly effectively with clear rules that are consistently enforced.
Planning and Teaching well-structured lessons; which ensure teachers introduce subject content progressively, provide adequate time for practice to embed the pupils’ knowledge, skills and understanding and identify and correct pupils’ misconceptions.
• Planning effective WALTs and WILFs.
• Review, Teach, Practise and Apply stages of teaching.
• Task Analysis, breaking learning into small steps for pupils to achieve.
• Homework which is meaningful and prepares pupils for their next learning.
• Overview of the programme for phonics and spelling. This includes Spelling Homework.
• Guided Reading.
• Teaching of Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG).
• Writing Interesting Sentences.
• Purpose, Audience and Form; a guide to teaching writing.
• Calculations Procedures (teaching the 4 operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
Calculation Procedures Overview Calculation Procedures Levels 1 to 9 Calculation procedures Levels 10 to 16
• RUCSAC, a guide to problem solving.
Strategies to develop Communication skills
• British Standard Manual Alphabet.
• MAKATON. See videos below.
• Child/student led play.
• Tacpac – communication through touch and music.
• Picture Exchange Communication System (PECs), for children with very early language skills.