Ravenswood pupils respond best to consistent routines and approaches. Therefore we have designed and developed a set of Teaching Strategies which are used across the school. These are divided into the following five areas:
ASD Friendly Learning Environment
Setting up the classroom; leading to well planned resources, making the maximum use of lesson time and managing pupils’ behaviour highly effectively with clear rules that are consistently enforced.
Planning and Teaching well-structured lessons; which ensure teachers introduce subject content progressively, provide adequate time for practice to embed the pupils’ knowledge, skills and understanding and identify and correct pupils’ misconceptions.
• Planning effective WALTs and WILFs
• Review, Teach, Practise and Apply stages of teaching
• Task Analysis, breaking learning into small steps for pupils to achieve
• Homework which is meaningful and prepares pupils for their next learning
• Overview of the programme for phonics into early spelling
• Reading Scheme Guide
• Guided Reading
• Teaching of Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG)
• Writing Interesting Sentences
• Purpose, Audience and Form; a guide to teaching writing
• Calculations Procedures (teaching the 4 operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
Calculation Procedures Overview Calculation Procedures Levels 1 to 9 Calculation procedures Levels 10 to 16
• RUCSAC, a guide to problem solving
Strategies to develop Communication skills
• British Standard Manual Alphabet
• MAKATON. See videos below. Also see our Makaton Handbook
• Child/student led play
• Tacpac – communication through touch and music
• Picture Exchange Communication System (PECs), for children with very early language skills