Ravenswood pupils respond best to consistent routines and approaches. Therefore we have designed and developed a set of Teaching Strategies which are used across the school. These are divided into the following five areas:
ASD Friendly Learning Environment
Setting up the classroom; leading to well planned resources, making the maximum use of lesson time and managing pupils’ behaviour highly effectively with clear rules that are consistently enforced.
Planning and Teaching well-structured lessons; which ensure teachers introduce subject content progressively, provide adequate time for practice to embed the pupils’ knowledge, skills and understanding and identify and correct pupils’ misconceptions.
• Ravenswood School Phonics Scheme
• Reading Scheme Guide
• Guided Reading
• Teaching of Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (SPaG)
• Purpose, Audience and Form; a guide to teaching writing
• Calculations Procedures (teaching the 4 operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division).
Calculation Procedures Overview Calculation Procedures Levels 1 to 9 Calculation procedures Levels 10 to 16
• RUCSAC, a guide to problem solving
Strategies to develop Communication skills
• British Standard Manual Alphabet
• MAKATON. See videos below. Also see our Makaton Handbook
• Child/student led play
• Tacpac – communication through touch and music
• Picture Exchange Communication System (PECs), for children with very early language skills
• Songs of reference - please see Appendix 1 of the Communication Policy on our School Policies page.
If you would like further advice, support or training on any of these strategies please contact your child’s class teacher or Katie Barnes, Deputy Head.